Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Super Duper Christmas Surprise!!!!

Kenzie has been begging for a Breaded Dragon since she could say the words. I was always open to the idea of letting her have one some day since I have owned them in the past. Tim, on the other hand, had a strict 'No Reptiles in the house' policy so I always told her maybe when she's older to buy me some time to convince him. While checking our internal 'swap shop' at work one day I came across an ad for a beardie with full set-up for sale (at an amazing price too!!). I thought for a second and moved on, no way would Tim ever let me get it for her. The following week I see the ad again, only this time the price has dropped $20. On a whim I text Tim the ad. The next day he calls me at work and says 'For that price, let's get it!' I just about died from shock.


Ok so here is where the story gets interesting. So I call the person to set up a time to come look at it and make a decision. This is the week of Thanksgiving. So we make arrangements to see it that Friday. I fall in love with it and now it's coming home with us. One problem- it's not Christmas yet!!! Tim wants to tell her right away when she gets home from the weekend but I want it to be a surprise. But where do you hide a reptile and tank for a month while still being able to care for it?? So we decided to put it in the basement, unfortunately with all the refinishing going on down there the only place to set him up is right by the fish tank in plain sight.


I am happy to report that 12 days later it is still a surprise. Only 16 more days to go!!!!!! Wish me luck, this has not been easy. Kenzie has seen the 'tank' from the stairs but is not allowed down there so she can't see what's waiting for her inside. Also every morning she askes why I have to go to the basement and get 'laundry' while carrying cut up veggies. My staple answer to any and all questions of hers has become 'none of your business' and I walk away. So cruel I know but she is just too noisy and I'm too stubborn to let her ruin her own surprise.


For your viewing pleasure or in case you've never seen one. Here's is our newest family member- temporarily named 'lil man'. Although it's too young for me to tell, I am leaning towards it being a male. Of course in Kenzie's world everything is a girl so the poor thing will probably be stuck with some girly name. And since the days of cool naming has passed for her (ie- Dawgone Mowhawk) it will probably be something silly like 'flower'.


No comments: