Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Soccer Mom to Soccer Coach! Wait, what????

This past fall I enjoyed my first season as a soccer mom so I was pretty excited when Mackenzie expressed interest in playing again this spring. Little did I know what I was going to get roped into a few weeks later.

Monday I received an email from the coach coordinator stating that they did not have enough coaches to cover all the teams for the U5 division, meaning if the positions were not filled our money would be refunded and we would have to wait until fall again to play. What's a mom to do with news like this.........

I took a deep breath and hit the reply button before I could think twice. 'Ok, sign me up so I don't have to break my daughter's heart'.

Apparently I didn't think I had enough on my plate this spring (later post) so what's a little coaching thrown in the mix.

So by this point anyone who knowns me is thinking 'what does Jamie know about soccer and coaching it?'. Well all I can say to that is my saving grace is the fact that they are five year olds- all I have to do is point them to the right goal and make sure they have fun. And over the years with Brent and his (full on soccer) family I managed to pick up a few things that should help.

When asked how I was going to handle everything this spring I think I summed it up pretty well with this one statement; "One day, many years from now, I hope Mackenzie will look back and say 'that was the spring and summer mommy worked too much and was never home but yet she still found the time to coach my soccer team', maybe this is just a mother's dream that her child will realize all the sacrifices that are made but I can only hope".

Wish me luck!!

3 comments:

Tedo said...

Good luck!

All you gotta do is teach the kids to take a dive anytime someone gets within 3 feet of them. That's all soccer players do anyway.

Anonymous said...

WOW~!!! How fun. Way to step up and take charge. Enjoying the kids is the easy part, tolerating the parents....good luck sista!!!

Unknown said...

I think you'll be more than accomplished if you can get them "all" to go in the same direction.......Best of luck with that though....